A Czech Christmas

After a few posts about the months, I decided to make a post about an aspect of Czech culture; and that is a Brno, Czech Christmas!

It all starts in late November. Lights start getting put up everywhere, some tram routes change to divert out of the main square in Brno (Which is called "The Square of Freedom"). It is in that place where the big market and the main big Christmas tree are set up. At this time, goods start getting sold at the various markets all across the city. Things from amazing Hungarian sausage, to traditional Czech food, to beautifully crafted artifacts. At night especially, everything seems so upbeat and alive. In a traditional Czech Christmas market, every vendor has their own booth, and within this booth they sell their specific thing, there is music playing and there are big crowds of people everywhere. It really is a treat to see. There is a special "Christmas punch" that you can get in Brno, which is what I was able to try with some members of Brno Roteract club and my host dad, it is fruity, hot, and you can get it with or without alcohol. In the City Hall square, there was a nativity scene and another Christmas market.

Next comes Mikuláš! It is a day from a Czech tale where there was a priest, a devil and an angel. They were the dictators of if a child has been good or not. If a child has been good, he or she will get a present from the angel. If he or she has been bad, the child will taken by the devil and "shaken in a bag until they promise to be good". Now of course, the kid almost always gets the gift. In schools, (even my high school), they do a variation of that where some type of paint get smeared across people's faces. Sadly I wasn't there that day because I was sick.

For the rest of the month, more and more things start happening! For example: The Czech Christmas punch tents get set up (Czech Christmas punch is so good!!!), the skating rink flooding finishes and skating times start, and the nativity scene in city hall square gets built as well!

Finally it's the 24th of December. In the Czech Republic, this is the big day at Christmas time. during the day, it is tradition not to eat before the meal at dinner. Dinner on this day consists of a special Christmas soup, fried Carp fish, and a variation of potato salad, and I have to say that this meal is good but substantially different from what we eat in Canada in my family. After the meal, a bell will ring, which means that baby Jesus (The one that brings the gifts here), has brought the gifts and everyone may enter the room where the tree is and unwrap them.

Midnight mass is something that a lot of people here go to on Christmas, and it was something that I was able to be a part of this year with my host dad! An I've got to say it was a very interesting thing to see! The big cathedral on the top of the in the centre of Brno was beautiful that night and the music from the cathedral (from a full size organ) was very interesting to hear. There was also a small wind instrument group and singers on the big balcony.

Christmas here officially ends on the 24th, and the 25th is supposed to be a day of rest. I spent my day that day with my host grandma at the time, who bought me a very nice steak lunch at a nice restaurant where we talked for a bit in German, English and Czech. It was in fact a very relaxed day for me and this whole holiday season was incredible! I did so many new things, and experienced such a difference in culture this Christmas, it was very cool to have a change from my normal Christmas in Canada!

Below are some photos of the markets, streets and my Christmas dinners here:










Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts