Zwei měsice в Чешской Republic

It has now been 2 months as of two days ago (October 27th). I cannot believe it's already been this long. School's going great! Everybody in my school's so nice! Everyday, I go to lunch with some guys in my class. Many days, it's something and some place different. My school here is very fun to be at, but at times there are schedule problems. For example: Last week, no one told us that our schedule was slightly changed and my whole class missed our geography lesson 😆! But anyways school is fun and great. Every Monday, me and the Brno inbounds have Czech lessons, and then we grab a bite to eat. On weekends we see each other all the time as well! 

In school, I have all the books for all of the courses. My school doesn't offer books to rent, so now I guess I own 10 or more new books. I participate in everything I can. Like in German, History, English, Music, Physics, Math and maybe Czech, I take the same tests as everyone else. In Social Sciences, I take easier ones for now (because ZSV (Společenské vědy), is very hard for native Czech-speaking students). And in Geography and Biology, my teacher says that I don't have to take tests, but I have convinced him to let me try the next one. My favourite subjects are history and German. In history, our last test was about the bronze, iron, Germanic, and Roman era's. In German, I am currently learning certain verbs and nouns, how to change the names of countries and nouns to different gender forms. I've already learned verb conjugations, numbers, colours, points in time, many nouns and I can have a basic conversation in German. But very basic. German isn't that hard because in a way it's like "weird English". Many words sound almost the same or very similar. Like: "Kannst du spielen die Flöte?", means "can you play the flute?".
When I get back to Calgary, I will be able to speak 5 languages: English, French, Czech, German, and Russian.

Anyways, my Czech is also progressing very fast even though it is the most complicated language in Europe. And it's a very interesting and fun one as well. I learn it many ways, being in school or from election campaign slogans (ANO: Bude líp), or just from random words that my two year old host sister just throws out there. I'm actually able to have full and complete conversations with my youngest host sister, probably because most of things she says include topic about eating, if something hurts, not wanting to sleep but then the next minute saying "Dobrou noc" and going upstairs to bed, or just wanting to talk about something simple. So talking with her is very easy, and actually, at school I'm able to have more and more in-depth conversations with my classmates as time passes on. And it's coming more naturally to me now. This is scary, but I've started to question myself about a few words in my language. Like the other day I forgot how to spell "Baby".
So that's the language smidge-bit.

Ok. So where have I gone so far? Here:
In the Czech Republic: Hejmánkovice, Broumov, Brno, Praha, Políčka, Olomouc, and Třebíč.
In the rest of Europe: Trenčín, Slovakia for the first inbound orientation... T∤ómaczów, Poland (For a total of 30 seconds), by the way I love EU borders! I, my host parents decided to take me to London, England about a week ago for 3 days. I got to see everything I wanted to! Like Buckingham palace to see (for some reason still), Canada's queen, the Tower Bridge, I got to ride in the London underground, I got to see big Ben; sadly under reconstruction that day, the London Eye, and more!

So still, this whole exchange is just so interesting, so much to learn still, and SO MUCH FUN!!!
I strongly recommend looking into Rotary Youth Exchange for everyone's kids!

The bottom line is that everything is great, and I expect it to stay great if not get even better in the coming months!
-Brad Charko

Comments

Popular Posts